Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Coup On Law And Justice – 13[The Right Witness]

In this context, I narrate you another story. I read this story in my childhood in Chandamama, the children Magazine.

అనగా అనగా …… ……….

Once upon a time there was a town. It was junction to so many surrounding villages. Always its market resembles to the trade fair. Every day large crowd of villagers from surroundings used to come there for shopping.

In that village a group of elders used to solve the disputes among people. They were famous to give perfect justice. A wise man named Dharmayya headed the group of elders. In the beginning, by watching the wisdom, sincerity of Dharmayya and other elders, voluntarily people started to approach them to solve their disputes and quarrels. After some time it, became as a habit to people as well as this group of elders and Dharmayya.

One day this group of elders and Dharmayya were in their assembly hall, a woman and a man come there to solve their quarrel.

The women reported them “Sir. My name is Chukkamma. This man snatched my money bag. I have 100 silver coins in the bag.”

The man replied “sir. My name is Chandranna. I came from the nearby village to purchase something special as a gift to my wife. When I was wandering in the market, this woman approached me and asked me what about. I told her about my wish. She enquired me that how much money that I had to purchase best thing. I told her. Immediately she had held my hand and driven me to here, more over complainting on me like this. Sir, I don’t know this woman and this town. Please help me.”

Dharmayya observed both of them. He thought that Chukkamma was stout enough and seems to be urban active. Chandranna was thin and seems to be innocent villager. But how to believe? He may pretend innocence. The moneybag was in his hand. But chukkamma was telling about the amount of the money in it. May Chandranna is telling truth, how to know?

Dharmayya thought for a while and discussed with his co-members in the group of elders. Then he asked “Chukkamma! Are there any witness to you who had seen when Chandramma had snatched your money bag?”

She said with crying voice “No sir, it was on busy road. People were busy in their work. Nobody had noticed this.”

Dharmayya said “Well. Chandranna! We believe that you had snatched Chukkamma’s money bag. Give it to her.”

Helplessly Chandranna had given the bag to Chukkamma. She felt happy; thanked the group of elders Panchayathi and left.

Dharmayya called Chandranna and told him to follow Chukkamma and try to snatch the money bag from her. Chandranna ran out Dharmayya ordered his assistants to follow them to watch the incident.

When Chandranna approached Chukkamma, they were in the market street. He tried to snatch the money bag from her. She tried to push him away and shouted loudly so that people gathered around them. Dharmayya’s assistants, among the gathering were watching all this. The gathering had driven them to the elders group. This time Chukkamma, entered into the assembly hall along with Chandranna and several witness. She complained “Sir! This time also this man, Chandranna tried to snatch my bag. These are all had seen it and came here to give witness.’

Dharmayya asked her “Did he snatch the bag from you?”

Chukkamma said “No sir. I didn’t allow him to snatch.”

Dharmayya said “So this time, he could not snatch the bag from you. When he tried to do so, several people had seen such attempt. This time also the road is busy and people are busy in their work. How it is possible? And why it was not happened in last time when he snatched your bag? Tell me the truth.”

When Dharmayya warned her with curt voice, Chukkamma said “Sir! Please forgive me I tried to cheat you. I planned to steal the money from Chandranna.”

Dharmayya ordered Chukkamma to return the moneybag to Chandranna and punished Chukkamma by fine. He sent one of his assistants to guide Chandranna in shopping.

That’s the entire story.

In this story, the elders group of Dharmayya didn’t take any corruption from any of the parties in this case. They didn’t deliver the justice favorable to the party, which gave corruption to them. That sincerity must be there while making justice in the disputes.

The system of judgment should not concentrate at certain points. It should know about the motive of crime, mode of the crime, who might be the reason of the crime or what might be the reason of the crime, who done it and who were behind of etc etc.

That’s why only, the system of the judgment should not concentrate at certain points such as Munsif Court, District court, High Court or Supreme Court. If concentrated like that the proportion of number of courts, number of justice persons, number of staff, will be insufficient to the number of cases and disputes. So that cases will be in pending to wait to get judgment. Such delay in getting judgment will guide the society in to violent ways. People will merge in to other illegal and in faith ways to get immediate results.

This results to the situation of Bhattiprolu Panchayathi.

No comments:

Post a Comment