Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Coup On Law And Justice – 05 [The logic in the Justice]

Another story for you,

అనగా అనగా …… ……….

Once in a village, there was a rich man. His son’s marriage was fixed on a day. He wanted to perform his son’s marriage on grand scale. He arranged so many attractions in the marriage. He wished to arrange a procession of bride groom on an elephant. In that village a man, called Sambayya had an elephant; He used to give his elephant on rent for festivals and occasions to people who wanted to have it. It was his profession.

The rich man had got a deal with Sambayya to hire his elephant on rent for his son’s marriage occasion. Sambayya agreed. On the marriage procession, the elephant had suddenly fallen down and dead due to its old age. The rich man felt sad about it. He told Sambayya as “Sambayya! The elephant is very old. Unfortunately it died in my son’s marriage. I’ll give money to you to purchase another elephant.”


Sambayya said “Sir. It is our house elephant. My great grandfather started to grow it. I got it from my father as ancestral property. It is our lucky elephant. I want it only. Not money.”

The rich man said “Sambayya. It is very old elephant. Time comes and it was dead? It is not my mistake or sin. Any way I’m rich to bare it. You are poor that to you depend on it for food. I pity you. That’s why I wish to compensate you. But how can I bring the same elephant back? If you want, I can purchase another elephant for you.”

Sambayya said bluntly “No sir. I want my elephant only. It is my lucky one.”

Since they were not able to solve their quarrel among themselves, both of they approached Maryada Ramanna and presented their argument. When Maryada Ramanna tried to convince Sambayya to accept the compensation from the rich man, Sambayya demanded the double amount to the elephant. Maryada Ramanna noticed the greediness of Sambayya and thought to teach him a lesson. He asked both of them to visit the village assembly on next day.

Later he called on the rich man and told him what he should do when Sambayya come to his house to call him on next day.

Next day when Sambayya approached village assembly, the rich man didn’t reach there yet. Maryada Ramanna said “Sambayya! The rich man didn’t turn here. Go to his house and call him to come here.”

Sambayya went to the rich man’s house. There was nobody out side. He watched in the front garden, in the corridor and called with loud voice. No reply. He knocked on the door and shouted “Sir. Maryadha Ramanna is calling you to the village assembly. Please do come.” Again, no reply, He repeated again and again but in vain. By losing patience, he pushed the doors. Splash! There was a big sound. What did he see? There were pieces of broken pots disorderly on the floor. Some broken pots were dragging on the floor. Just then the rich man came there from the inner room of the house. When he stared at the broken pots, he cried out with loud voice “Who had done this. Who had broken my pots?”

Sambayya told “Sir. It is me. When I pushed the door, the pots were fallen on to the floor and broken into pieces. Don’t worry. I’ll give you new pots from the potter.”

The rich man said “No. Sambayya. My great grandmother collected these pots. I got it from my mother as ancestral property. My wife used to cook food in them. They were my lucky pots. I want them only. No new pots.”

Sambayya said “How it is possible.”

The rich man replied, “Let’s go to village assembly. Sri Maryada Ramanna will solve our dispute.”

When the both explained their versions, Maryada Ramanna said “Sambayya, what the rich man saying is right. You are demanding to bring back the dead elephant. He is demanding to bring back the broken pots. That’s all the matter. You bring back the broken pots and take your elephant.”

Sambayya was unable to give reply.

Maryada Ramanna continued “You greedy man! You planned to exploit the rich man. Your elephant was old enough to die. If it dies at your home, what will you do? The rich man is kind enough to you to offer compensation to buy another elephant. He considered your poverty and professional base. But you tried to exploit such goodness of the rich man. You deserve the punishment.”


Sambayya felt fear and begged for excuse. Maryada Ramanna warned him strictly to behave in righteous manner and ordered the rich man to help poor Sambayya to buy another elephant. The rich man was kind enough to do so.

That’s the entire story!

Is there such generosity, in present justice, in any case, in any court, in any country?

No comments:

Post a Comment